Keep in mind that there are reputable financial advisers out there who have your best interests in mind.
If you do a little research and ask the right questions you should be able to find an adviser you can trust.
What you should do or keep in mind are as following,
(1) should be weary of financial advisers that contact you
(2) looking for a successful adviser who doesn't need to go looking for business
(3) should go to your financial adviser's place of business to see how she or he works.
(4) Pay attention to whether the office is organized, if the files are in order and if he or she is busy.
(5) make sure he/she is is a Certified Financial Planner, or CFP®.
(6) make sure that he/she has the right certification and educational background to be handling your money.
(7) should discuss payment the first time you meet with him/her.
(8) ask about fees are and how makes money, should be the one to bring up payment.
(9) A successful financial adviser doesn't have time to visit clients unless you are investing a substantial amount of money with them.
(10) should ask to see his returns for the past 10 years and compare them to the stock indexes. This will give you a good indication of how well he will perform for you.